No matter what the day brings, deep down I know it really is a good day because I have the man of my dreams, a kitty who loves me, a roof over my head and I live in paradise.

Get Email Updates
Al-Anon Family Groups
annanotbob3's journal
A Place of My Own
bunt sign
Eric Mayer Byzantine Blog
Hyperbole and a Half
L. L. Bean
LA the Sage
Reenies's Reach
Talking Stick
Thoughts From Crow Cottage
Topsy Turvy's Journal
Email Me

Admin Password

Remember Me

279590 Curiosities served
Share on Facebook

These Shoes Are Made for Walking
Previous Entry :: Next Entry


Read/Post Comments (0)

"There are unknown forces within nature; when we give ourselves wholly to her, without reserve, she leads them to us; she shows us those forms which our watching eyes do not see, which our intelligence does not understand or suspect" - Auguste Rodin
Ah, Monday morning. I did not get up when my alarm went off at 6:15 a.m. to take my thyroid pill, I did take my pill though; I did not get up when my alarm went off at 8:30 a.m. to take my morning pills. Instead I got up about 9:50 a.m. I took my morning pills upon my return from my walk.

Instead of doing my usual which is take care of Bailey, although I did clean his litter box; I got dressed and went for a walk. The sun is out and it looks like another beautiful day in paradise. I did not take a hoodie but I did take my walking stick. The stick is for balance as well as a protection piece. Most people hesitate about doing bad things when one has a five foot stick to wield for defense.

Today's route was up and down three fairly steep hills. It took me an hour. Oh boy! I am not in shape. I was huffing and puffing up the hills. I was very grateful for the downhill side to get my breath back.

Getting physical activity back into my life is another of the goals I set with the psych doctor. Back when we lived in the Paso Robles house and again at the Henrietta house, I walked religiously. But with the upheaval of our various moves and homelessness, walk and exercise went by the wayside.

So, my goal is to walk every other day. Because of where I live, I have five different loops I can take. Saturday when I walked it took me 30 minutes to make the loop and on level land. This morning's walk took an hour. I believe I will do an easier one on Wednesday. Now if I can make this a habit. Once the rainy season begins, I will have to get out my rain suit to keep the roll going.

Last night for physical activity, I got out my three-pound weight and gave Michael the five-pound weights and we worked our arms. This is at the suggestion of our neighbor Mr. T. Mr. T has his weight equipment out on the back patio and we can hear him when he is pressing weights. He is such a good inspiration to us.

Of all the weight equipment I had at the Paso Robles house all that is left is the free weights. Back then I had a little room off of the garage for use of exercising. I used each and every piece: Free weights, a treadmill, a lift bench with a preacher curl rest, barbell with weights but the barbell was 45 pounds and that was good enough for me.

Then moving to the Henrietta house, there never seemed to be a place to set up all my equipment. I did use the treadmill and the free weights but the rest I ended up selling or giving away. Michael even traded the Soloflex for a different type of weight equipment but even with that I had to force myself to use it. But, at the Henrietta house, it was a two-story house. I would use the stairs through out the day and have some exercise that way.

Well, today I walked and that is a good thing.

Okay, since I have spent an entire page on physical activity what do I write about now?

It is a beautiful day out. One of the perks of walking around my neighborhood is there are no cookie cutter houses. You may see a couple of houses you can tell were built by the same contractor but that is it. Each house has its own personality. The colors are different and landscaping is as different as people are different. I get lots of good ideas on what to do in our little place.

I am glad we do not have a yard. Even with the small one at the Henrietta house I had trouble keeping it together. Around the complex, we all have a 4 x 8 feet piece of "sand." I have added compost to mine and the plants there seem to like it. I only water a couple of times a week. We have four tomato plants. Two of the plants have produced tomatoes. The first tomato is just days away from being ripe enough to eat. I just have to keep the blue jays away from it. Mr. T said the jays have gotten some his tomatoes. As long as it stays sunny, I feel the other tomatoes will keep growing and ripening. Once rain season begins that will be the end of my first successful attempt at a garden.

Also in my garden are calla lilies which did not blossom this year. I have another plant that has small daisy-like flowers with flat leaves. The leaves remind me of flat-leaf parsley; however, they do not taste like parsley. Then I transplanted a gifted plant from Mrs. T since it was not doing well in the pot and it has blossomed two or three times since then with bright yellow flowers. I need to get it out of the corner because where I have it, it is hidden behind my box of compost and unless I actually go look at the plant, the plant is not noticeable.

Now if I can keep my newest addition alive the miniature rose plant I will be doing well!

Michael has heard from Mr. B who is in town from the big island of Hawaii. It will be good to see him. I think the last time he was in town was last year. He is such a good and strange guy. I remember when I first met him; he was quiet and said strange things to shock me. Hell, after hanging out with bikers most of my adult life, nothing much surprised me. Still Mr. B did like to try and shock. He laughed every time I would sputter at him that he had to do better than that. I consider him a good friend and I am always glad for the time he gives us when he comes to visit.

This morning while walking I had an on again off again discussion with my Dad. Now my Dad has been dead several years now but I do miss him. There are times I want to call him to chat. I loved his Down East accent (Maine), the stories he would tell, and about the people he came in contact with. Now he was not very good about the gossip part which may be good. I would call Great-Aunt Dorothy for the low down but Dad would give me just the facts. Thus, I chatted away to Dad and told him all that was going on until I could not think of much more and I would drift over to something else on my mind. Subsequently, I would come back to chatting with Dad until I ran out of things to say.

I do not know how many people do this. Maybe I am crazy, but then, of course I am crazy - I am certified! I do not know it makes me feel closer to my Dad.

Hmm, I do not know where that came from.

Anyway, another find on my walk, is there is a house with a table in front and is covered by an umbrella. On the table is an assortment of locally produced honey in various jar sizes. They even have the bees wax and bees wax candles. Something new is an herb mixture to be used as seasoning on just about everything from chicken, fish, beef, pork, and vegetables. Next time I have some extra money, I will pick up a jar.

I know the honey I purchased last time, is excellent and so tasty in my tea or on biscuits.

This guy is so trusting. All he asks is that you put your money in a locked box. The box is locked to the table. I do not know if they have a security camera set on the table. I would think some nefarious people would come along and grab a bottle or two and be off.

Here I have written about being out in nature. Since fall began on Friday, I am still amazed at the color of blooming flowers. We receive lots of fresh produce through the food banks. I am freezing as much as I can. I love smoothies with frozen fruit in them with a banana for sweetener. Mother Nature is real. I live in an agricultural area, I can see the cycle of life. From the fields that are plowed in preparation for seedlings to grow. I watch how the sun and water nurture these plants. After a period of time the field workers are out there harvesting the mature plants. Following this, the field is left to die off. The workers pull stakes and gather up the watering tubes. Some fields lie fallow for a season or to before they are planted again.

The hill sides are a golden yellow. This is our summer color. It is also a time to be aware of doing anything that could start a fire. If you have been watching the news, you have probably heard about the various fires in our state. Green hills do not come until the rainy season which comes anywhere from December through March. It varies a little each year. Green is the color of our winter. Then when spring arrives the wild flowers pop their pretty heads. When Michael and I are riding our motorcycles, the smell of the flowers is pretty heady stuff and so worth it.

I guess this is it for today. I hope everyone had a grand day.

mz. em

Currently reading:
--"Blood Promise" - Richelle Mead
-- "The Daily Book of Art/365 readings that teach, inspire & entertain"

Read/Post Comments (0)

Previous Entry :: Next Entry

Back to Top

Powered by JournalScape © 2001-2010 JournalScape.com. All rights reserved.
All content rights reserved by the author.